Tuesday 3 February 2015

Milestones

This past week has been an eventful one for me. Saturday saw my one year "runiversary". One year?!!! Where did that time go?! It was a year ago that I first set foot on a treadmill at Eden Hall Day Spa (yes, I know, most people go there to relax not start a new passion...) and squeezed out 1km. I was so proud of myself I texted all my friends something along the lines of "I've just run 1km! How awesome is that?!". Looking back I am grateful to all the people who were suitably enthusiastic, because with retrospect, running 1km is really not that big a deal. But back then it felt huge. So what was the most appropriate way to celebrate this running milestone? By running of course! It so happened that Virtual Runner UK had a half marathon medal for January, so I enlisted the company of some of the NWR girls and planned to run 13.1 miles to celebrate.

Slippy slidey
Things didn't quite work out as planned as the night before the run my daughter was very unwell and was up frequently throughout the night. As a result I woke up shattered and there was no way I could run for 9am, so I delayed for a few hours and set out alone. It was a hard run, as the ground was icy and boggy and I needed to walk every so often to negotiate the hazards. But bit by bit I ate into the miles and several hours later I was so proud to have run 15 miles! That was my furthest ever, and oh my goodness was I ever exhausted. In fact I think I slightly began to go a bit nuts from mile 12, because I was muttering positive affirmations to myself and general trying to convince my legs that it really wasn't that big a deal to go just a bit further. I started crying at the end upon realising that I will still need to run an additional 11 miles on race day, but I'm hoping the additional 80-odd days of training I have yet to do will stand me in better stead. But for now I can say with pride, I did it! I ran 15 miles on my own with only my husband and TT there to support me and help me through by text. And look at what I got for my efforts:
A nice bit of bling
Sunday was my birthday and I was grateful to have a day off running, although I did do a recovery run to free up my legs a bit. I'm finding that ice baths have a very positive effect the day after a LR, and by wearing a thick jumper whilst in one I can tolerate the coldness of it a lot better. The main issues I have after LRs now are not so much discomfort, as the bath takes a lot of the inflammation away, but the fact that my legs are just blimming tired and have no interest in taking me far at all!

My fundraising is going really well so far. I've hit the £900 mark, and that's not including the money from the virtual run my fellow Mind runner Helen is doing with me, nor does it include the proceeds from the charity dinner dance being held in my honour this coming Saturday. I'm hoping that in the next couple of months I will have hit my £1750 target, then any more is a bonus. It's so humbling seeing how many people have signed up to the virtual run. I couldn't have set it up so professionally without the help of Dan Batten who allowed me to piggyback onto his domain doo-ja-ma-flit (can you tell I'm fluent in computer lingo?!), and the amazing people at Team Strides sporting medals who have provided the beautiful medals. We still have a few spaces in adults' and children's runs left, so have a look at www.run4mind.virtualrun.org.uk if you fancy a try.

And finally, some things that I have learnt this past year as a runner. Take a look at the following:

Knees! The number of times I have been told that I am subjecting myself to a future of knee replacements, crutches, and the like, and how terribly bad for you it is to run. Last week I was told by a few older men that out of all their friends who have had coronary heart disease, it's only the runners who fare so badly. Apparently the immobile unhealthy diet ones are the "healthiest" now. Really?!! And what do you say to people who are so resolute that your hobby, your passion, is so damaging? There have been a few articles circulating on Facebook this week, one said that if you are a fast runner you will certainly die and early death (or words to that effect), then today I saw a headline saying that joggers are more unhealthy than non-runners. I admit I couldn't be bothered to read that one. I mean, come on, it's running. It's what our bodies were meant to do. It's not like we're juggling live hand grenades or cuddling crocodiles. And besides, we all have to die of something, surely it's better to go doing something you live then getting old and rotting away bit by bit?
One question that drives me demented is before a race, to be asked "are you going to do a Paula Radcliffe?". My dad seems to think this is quite funny and asks me it every time. It seems to be the question non-runners ask runners. As though this amazing woman is not to be remembered for her athletic prowess, but rather because once she pooed at the side of the road during a race. Ask any runner, the brown turtle of doom has plagued us all at some point!  

So, going back to the list, my responses would be:

  1. No reply, just a raised eyebrow and scathing look
  2. I pay for the bling. And sometimes the bonus finishers top. Oh yeah and the experience!
  3. Only in my dreams
  4. Often, but that's what music and thoughts are for
  5. Another scathing and disbelieving look here
  6. A train that's seriously annoyed
  7. You hear what inane stuff other people say and bash your head on a wall/tree
  8. Nope *touch wood*
  9. What about them?
  10. You should see me when I haven't run!!
  11. *smack*
  12. Oh dear....
  13. Don't bloody tempt me!
  14. Google maps has saved me from that many a time!
  15. You'd hope so seeing as I spend most of my life doing it!!
  16. I'm a woman. I'm a runner. I need a pair of shoes for every mood/day/set of conditions!
  17. Yes!!!
  18. Yes. It makes me feel badass
  19. Not when the wind's behind me
  20. Don't be soft!
  21. Possibly but again, I'm badass!
  22. You're catching on, that's good...!
  23. Yes, but it is the most delicious form of tiredness
  24. Hahaha I have 3 children under 5! Those days are gone!
  25. Blink and you'll miss me!!
And on that note I'll stop rambling for now, but if anyone fancies sponsoring me and showing support as I raise money for Mind and run the London Marathon, you can do so here www.justgiving.com/jennyhiggs and I'd be very grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment